Thursday, March 7, 2013

Treasure Chest Thursday: Displaying Family Heirlooms

Old Razors Belonging to Frank L. Lee (top) and Price Southworth

A few years ago, I was cleaning out a closet in our basement when I ran across a box of things I packed away when preparing my parents' house for sale.  I opened the box and found a treasury of memories, history, and love.  I had re-discovered the contents of my dad's top dresser drawer, the place where he kept items that were dear to him.  I found photos, cards that I had given him for his birthday and father's day, old watches, and much more--including a box of my granddad's belongings that Dad had saved.  Well, the closet cleaning was put on hold as I sorted through these prizes.  After I had looked through everything, I found it very difficult to close the box and just store it away on the closet shelf.  I made the decision then to let a few of  my favorite treasures come out of the closet, so to speak.

Since then I have found several ways to display family heirlooms throughout our home.  Why keep all of these wonderful treasures hidden away?  Heirlooms personalize and add character and beauty to your home.  They can be great conversation starters with guests.  Most importantly, perhaps, for your children and relatives, these treasures become the storytellers and teachers of family history.

Display of Old Shaving Items

So from time to time on Treasure Chest Thursdays, I'll show you some of the ways I've displayed family heirlooms in my house.  Today, let me share with you what I've done with some old razors and shaving items.  With the help of my brother-in-law and my sister-in-law, I decided to put these things in shadow boxes.  (Lucky for me, my talented brother-in-law is a framer!)  The old straight-edged razors and accessories belonged to my husband's grandfather, Price Southworth, and to my granddad, Frank Lewis Lee.  They now decorate the wall beside my husband's sink in our master bathroom.  It's kind of neat to watch my husband as he shaves right beside these old razors and imagine our grandfathers once doing the same.

Do you have heirlooms displayed in your home?  If so, I'd love to hear or see what you've done with your treasures!  Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment