Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tombstone Tuesday: Another Look at the J. F. M. Lee Monument

As I was scanning some old photos the other night, I came across a print of the Jefferson Francis Marion Lee monument in Bedford  (KY) Cemetery.  The photo was taken in 1950, sixty years earlier than the photos I took and posted in my January 8, 2013, Tombstone Tuesday entry.  The 1950 photo shows a different, or at least partially different monument than the one in the 2010 photo.

J. F. M. Lee Monument
Bedford (KY) Cemetery, 1950


J. F. M. Lee Monument
Bedford (KY) Cemetery, 2010






















Written by Daisy Lee Long, J. F. M. Lee's granddaughter, on the back of the 1950 photo is the following:  "Large monument-grandfather's.  Diamond shape monument in the rear is Aunt Sidney's at Bedford Ky"

So, what happened to the Lee monument during those sixty years?  Vandalism?  Ravages of time and weather?  I love a good mystery!  I'm anxious to return to Bedford and investigate.  Also, I'd love to hear from anyone who has some answers or even theories about this.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment