Thursday, January 17, 2013

Treasure Chest Thursday: Frank L. Lee Silhouette

Frank Lewis Lee Silhouette
by F. Ward, 1932
This awesome little silhouette of my granddad, Frank Lewis Lee, is one of my most recent discoveries.  Buried among some old family letters in a worn file folder, I found this treasure.  The silhouette itself has been cut out of black paper, mounted onto a 4.5" x 5.75" piece of cream-colored card stock, then attached to and enclosed in a gold-colored card stock folder.  In the lower left corner are the artist's signature and the date written in pencil.  Granddad would have been about 49 years old when this was made, and he would have been living in Middlesboro, Kentucky, and operating Lee's Drug Store.

I think it's time for this little gem to come out of that musty file folder, don't you?  Perhaps a simple black frame and a place of prominence on our bookshelves.

2 comments:

  1. What a find! So unique, it definitely needs to be framed and displayed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so, too, Heather. I'm in search of a frame now.

    ReplyDelete